Education Programs

Want to know what’s happening at MCCS? Subscribe to receive updates from this program.

 U. S. Marine Corps Education and Commissioning Programs for Enlisted Marines 


Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) MECEP provides selected enlisted Marines with the opportunity to earn a baccalaureate degree by attending college or university as a full-time student. While in school, Marines continue to receive their full pay and allowances. Those individuals who successfully obtain a baccalaureate degree and complete officer candidate training are commissioned Second Lieutenants in the Marine Corps.


College Degree Program (CDP) The College Degree Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to earn a baccalaureate degree by attending an accredited college or university as a full-time student.


Special Education Program (SEP) The Special Education Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to receive advance training that will lead to a postgraduate degree in specified disciplines, as a full-time student at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) or selected civilian schools.


Advanced Degree Program (ADP) The Advance Degree Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to earn a postgraduate degree by attending an accredited college or university as full-time students.


Law Education Programs (LEP) The various Law Education Programs provide Marine officers the opportunity to laterally transfer into a law MOS or to earn a Masters of Law or Juris Doctor through full-time, funded study if currently in the MOS.


Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP) The ECP allows qualified enlisted Marines, currently holding a baccalaureate degree, to complete Officer Candidates School (OCS) and be commissioned as Second Lieutenants in the Marine Corps.


Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) Navy-Marine Corps Scholarship Program The NROTC Navy-Marine Corps Scholarship Program provides an opportunity for young men and women to prepare for careers as officers in the United States Navy or Marine Corps. The program pays full tuition and fees at any of the more than 66 colleges and universities nationwide. In addition, candidates receive a monthly allowance.


United States Naval Academy Each year, selected Marines begin study at the United States Naval Academy leading to a bachelor's degree and commissioning as a Marine or Naval Officer. Tuition is fully subsidized in addition to a regular salary.  Candidates who are not admitted through the admissions process will automatically be considered for (NAPS) The Naval Academy Preparatory School.


Staff Noncommissioned Officers Degree Completion Program This program provides selected Marine staff noncommissioned officers with the opportunity to obtain a bachelor's degree by attending college or university for no more than 18 months as a full-time student. The degree must relate to a Marine Corps billet that is specifically designed for Marine staff noncommissioned officers with four-year degrees. This does not lead to a commission.


U. S. Marine Corps Education and Commissioning Programs for Officer Marines 


College Degree Program (CDP) The College Degree Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to earn a baccalaureate degree by attending an accredited college or university as a full-time student.

Special Education Program (SEP) The Special Education Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to receive advance training that will lead to a postgraduate degree in specified disciplines, as a full-time student at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) or selected civilian schools.

Advanced Degree Program (ADP) The Advance Degree Program provides selected Marine officers the opportunity to earn a postgraduate degree by attending an accredited college or university as full-time students.



Don't let money prevent you from going to school.  Check out the resources listed below on how you can pay for school:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  

Developed by the Office of Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, completing the FAFSA may allow eligible students to receive grants, loans, and/or work-study funds for college or career school.  Complete your FAFSA here:

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship assists military spouses in pursuing licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high-demand, high-growth portable career fields and occupations. Spouses may use their My Career Advancement Account Scholarship funds at any academic institution approved for participation in the scholarship. For more information, please visit


Scholarships are grants students can utilize to pay for their higher education that generally do not have to be paid back.  Scholarships are available through a wide variety of sources including clubs, organizations, and online searches utilizing such websites as and 


Loans are a type of financial aid that must be repaid are offered federally and through academic institutes.  For more information regarding loans, please visit

Please see below for more information regarding the three regionally accredited academic institutions located on Okinawa:

University of Maryland Global Campus

Foster                   645-3054/3488

Kadena                 634-4383

Kinser                   637-2406

Futenma               636-3940

Courtney               622-9250

Hansen                 623-7312

Schwab                 625-2538

Shields                  634-6399

Torii                      644-4957

Yokota                   225-3680

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University


Kadena                   634-5083

Futenma                 636-6692

Troy University

Kadena                    634-5365

Welcome to the MCCS Okinawa Voluntary Education Program!  “MCCS Makes Okinawa Home” by providing a premium yet cost-effective menu of Quality of Life programs and services designed to meet the needs of Marines and their families.

Make the Camp Foster Testing Office your first stop for military, academic, and certification exams!


College entrance exams such as the SAT, ACT, and TEAS are offered on a monthly basis.  All active duty military are authorized to take one funded SAT and one funded ACT at a military education center during their career.  Active military personnel are also authorized two additional administrations on a refundable basis at a national test center.  


Certification Exams

As a Pearson VUE Authorized Test Center, we are able to administer a wide variety of exams including, but not limited to, financial management exams, medical certifications, information technology/cybersecurity exams, and more.  For a complete list of available Pearson VUE exams, please visit Also available are AMP/PSI exams.  Please inquire with us for further details. 

Military Testing 

Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT) 

This in-service equivalent of the ASVAB measures aptitudes and abilities necessary for a Marine’s or Sailor’s successful performance on the job and during formal school training. The AFCT is a computer-based exam and can take up to three hours.  An authorization letter is required to test.  Click here for an example letter. 

Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB)

This exam is designed to aid in the selection of personnel for language school training. It measures individuals’ aptitude to learn a new language and is 82 minutes in length.

Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT)

This exam is designed to determine proficiency in a specific foreign language. College credit is recommended based upon level of proficiency. Specialized language testing can be requested if computer-based exams are not available. The DLPT is a computer-based and can take up to six hours to complete.  

Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)

This test is conducted in the form of an interview via phone conversation for the purpose of measuring oral proficiency in a specific language.  

Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB)

This exam is used in the selection process for all Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard aviation programs and other select officer programs and can take up to five hours to complete.  The OAR (a portion of the ASTB) is also available. 

Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)

This exam is required for active duty Marines with a GT score of 99 and below prior to using TA for the first time. It is also used for lateral moves into counterintelligence or EOD. 


                All tests are by appointment only. Service members MUST be in uniform for all military testing.  For more information or to schedule an appointment, please email or call 645-3944/2469.

Click here at July 2020 Testing Calendar to view upcoming test dates and times.  


CLEP & DSST Examinations

CLEP and DSST exams are a great way to save you time, money, and get you that much closer to earning your college degree.  CLEP & DSST exams are available through the University of Maryland University College at their National Testing Centers located on Camp Foster, Camp Hansen, and Kadena AFB.  To register for a CLEP or DSST, please visit and then schedule your appointment to take the exam through  UMUC Asia.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

The GRE is required for most graduate level programs. The GRE testing program is divided into two separately administered programs, the revised General Test and the Subject Tests. The GRE is administered at Okinawa Christian School International.


Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)

The GMAT is used as an admission tool for entrance into graduate business and management programs. It measures general verbal, quantitative, integrated reasoning and analytical writing skills but does not measure achievement in any particular subject area. The GMAT is proctored by the UMUC's National Testing Center.


General Education Development (GED)

The GED test offers an alternative for those who did not finish high school but have goals for the future. The GED Testing Service offers the most-recognized method for earning your high-school-equivalency credential. DANTES reimburses GED test fees for eligible military personnel.



              Whether you are separating or retiring from the service, transitioning out of the military is a pivotal point in every service member's life.  Let MCCS Education Centers assist you in that transition.  Our specially designed two day workshop, Accessing Higher Education, was developed for service members to ease the transition from military to college life. It is designed to guide you through a variety of decisions involving choosing a career path, degree programs, college institutions, and a variety of funding options.  For a full list of upcoming workshops and to register, please click here.


              Leadership Scholar Program (LSP)

              The Marine Corps Leadership Scholar Program (LSP) provides Marines with assistance in the admission process to colleges and universities across the nation as they transition from active duty to the private sector. Please visit for more information. 

              Marine For Life Network

              Marine For Life Network (M4L) connects transitioning Marines and their family members to education resources, employment opportunities, and other Veterans services that aid in their career and life goals outside of military service.  Please visit for more information. 

              Warrior Scholar Program

              Warrior-Scholar Project empowers servicemembers as they transition from the military to higher education. They host immersive one- or two-week college preparatory programs that prepare transitioning servicemembers for the challenges of college so that they have the confidence and skill-sets to hit the ground running on Day 1 on campus.  Please visit for more information.

              Service to School

              Service to School provides free application counseling to military veterans.  Their mission is to prepare transitioning military veterans for their next chapter of leadership by helping them gain admission to the best college or graduate school possible.  Please visit for more information.

              Student Veterans of America (SVA)

              SVA Student Veterans of America (SVA) is A non-profit coalition of student-veteran groups on college campuses across the globe with a mission to provide military veterans with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education and following graduation.  Please visit for more information. 

              USMC Web TA Step-By-Step


              1. To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer, go to  

              2. Upload your degree plan to the Web TA portal. 

                1. From the “My Education Home” select “Education” and the “Upload Files” tab.

                2. Complete the fields in the “Attachment Upload” window. Enter the name of your school in the “Name” field and your degree program in the “Description” field.

                3. Use “Browse” to locate your file which must be a PDF and then select “Upload File” to complete the action.

              3. To begin your TA application, return to “My Education Home” and select “Tuition Assistance.”

              4. If you are eligible, you will see the option to “Create New Application.”

                1. Please read and accept the TA Application Agreement. Keep a copy for your records.

                2. Review your profile information and verify that your email address is correct. If any changes are necessary, you may update your profile by going to “My Education Home” and using the “Profile” tab.

              Note: If you are not eligible, you will see a red “Eligibility” box with a list of requirements you need to fulfill. Please contact your local MCCS Education Center to resolve these items.

              1. Enter your command approver (CO or By-Dir) information. You may either search for your approver or you can enter their information manually by selecting “Manual Entry.” You will need their name, DSN number, and military email address. 

              2. Enter your installation and school information using the search window. Then enter the term start and end dates.  All courses on a Web TA application must have the same term start and end dates.  Please be sure to submit courses with different start and end dates on separate Web TA applications.    

              3. To enter course information, select “Manual Course.” Make sure to enter the information accurately.  Fill in the course number (ex. PSYC 100), title (ex. Introduction to Psychology), level, location, instruction mode, credit unit, credit hours, and cost. If your school has entered their catalog into the Academic Institution Module, you can search for your course using the “Search Course” feature.  This feature will auto-populate most of the required fields.  Click confirm.

              4. Review all of the information on your application and make corrections if needed. Save the application.

              5. Select “Submit” to send your application to your command approver.

                1. Command Notification: You will receive an email notification stating whether your TA has been approved or denied.

                2. Education Center Notification: If your command has approved your TA, your application will be forwarded to the Education Center, and you will receive a second email upon authorization.

                3. If there are any issues with your application, you will be contacted by the Education Center, and your TA will remain on hold until resolved.  

              6. To track the status of your application, go to the “Tuition Assistance” tab and select “Review Applications.”

                1. If you document status is “under edit,” you have not submitted it to your command approver.

                2. You may also view your application status as command approved or authorized. 

              7. To access your TA voucher once it has been authorized, go to “My Education Home” and click on the “Tuition Assistance” box.  Then click on the “Review Applications” box and select the view option to access your TA voucher.  Click on the “Print Document” button at the bottom of the page.  Sign and submit it to your school as directed. 

              Career Exploration and Planning Track (CEPT)

              The CAREER EXPLORATION AND PLANNING TRACK, formerly known as Career Technical Training Track, the workshop offers a unique opportunity to identify skills, increase awareness of training and credentialing programs, and develop an action plan to achieve career goals.

              Service Members and spouses who attend the two-day Department of Labor Career Exploration and Planning Track (CEPT) workshop will complete personalized career development assessments of occupational interest, aptitudes, and work values. These assessments will present workshop participants with a variety of tailored jobs recommendations aligned with their interest and aptitudes, some of which are classified as “high demand” or “high growth” occupations.

              For more information or to register for the two-day track, please contact the Marine and Family Readiness Programs Office at 645-3151 or register online at

              Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certifications

              You can earn certifications for your Automotive Expertise. Take the next step to become a professional automotive technician by earning Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications— trusted by consumers and employers nationwide as a sign of automotive technician knowledge and skills. ASE offers 40-plus exams grouped into specialties such as automobile, medium/heavy truck, collision repair, and more. For more information, please visit

              ASE exams are administered by the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) National Test Center (NTC) at the Camp Foster Education Center, building 5679, second deck. 

              Funding is available for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exams through the Marine Corps COOL Program for Motor T Marines. Check if your MOS qualifies at  For more information on how to use COOL to pay for your ASE exam, please click here. 

            • [l_ektContentId]: 2147485404